Thursday, March 22, 2012

Music for Lenten Meditation

I just discovered, through the magic of iTunes, some beautiful music to meditate by during these last days of Lent. It is called The Prayer Cycle, and it a symphonic and choral piece written in nine movements by composer Jonathan Elias. It includes vocals by Linda Ronstadt, James, Taylor, and Alanis Morrissette, as well as singers from Tibet, England, Israel, and Pakistan, to name just a few. At least in the case of Taylor and Morissette, this is the first time I have heard them sing something of this type. Twelve different languages are employed, and each movement highlights a different spiritual gift such as grace, mercy, innocence, and piety.


It is ethereal, haunting, and challenging. I highly recommend it as we perform our Lenten devotions. It was originally issued in 1999. i don't know how I missed it, but it has become the soundtrack of my prayers.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Leslie,

    Lovely Lenten music!

    And an apology...
    You posted a comment on my blog http://ricksgreengrass.blogspot.com under the article "Is My Cat in Heaven?" back in November. Unfortunately, I didn't notice it had been held for moderation. Thank you for your kind comment, and I apologize for not seeing it sooner. I'm a bad blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the plus side, now I know about your wonderful blog and have subscribed to you through my Google Reader. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete