Monday, March 5, 2018

Prayer 1864: Safe Through the Storm


The storms of night have rolled away,
but the favor of our God lasts forever!-
let me praise our God with my first thought,
Our Shield and Shelter,
Our Help and Our Maker.

As the wind and rain coax new life
into the awakening grasses and groves,
and remnant leaves add their percussive testimony
to the cadence of my heart,
yet my spirit hears the music of creation
in the joy of the nesting birds, ringing like bells:
this moment of peace with You is precious, O God,
a gift beyond measure.

The smallest sparrow sings her prayer
from the rooftop of the house of Your mercy,
knowing Your hand is beneath her:
why then should I fear?

Help my greening faith, I pray,
and knit up the ragged, frayed edges of my spirit,
Beloved Savior, Brother Jesus.

May your grace soak into my bones, O God,
your love keep me within the field of your blessing,
that my life testify to your wondrous compassion and saving help.

Into the lea of your mercy
we gather in gratitude, Lord Christ,
to offer your our prayers:
help us to walk in your ways today,
and pour your abundant favor upon those we now name.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment